A VILLAGE IN THE EAST



One fine day, it began drizzling in the noon and continued until evening.  As soon as the rain stopped, I couldn’t resist staying in and went out for a walk.   Besides, the coldness in the weather, there was strange warmth too.  I was feeling great amidst nature; all the rejuvenated grasses and leaves were chanting the classical music of Apollo.  One could easily get lost in the rhythm of nature.  That’s how I had been seeing this new place.  Wetlands receive ample of rainfall thus, quenching the thirst of the environment as well as our souls.  This place looks ecstatic1 in the rainy season. 


 Gradually moving ahead being lost in the art of God, I came across a small privately owned pond.  Since, it had turned dark early due to rain, I could see two small dark figures moving around the edges of the pond.  Residents here usually create such ponds to rear fishes.  On moving closer I saw they were two boys hardly some 9-10 years old.  They had a wide net in their hands.  Initially I was dubious2 of them catching fishes.  Apart from fishes these ponds have lot of snakes too, though harmless.  I could have never imagined those little kids doing this work at this time of the day when it was getting darker.  Much to my amusement, they did what impinged3 me deeply.  With enough force, they threw the net wide and waited for a few minutes.  With their adept4 hands and skills they were able to pull out a bunch of fishes, enough to feed their families.

Being to a new place takes time to understand its culture.  Lately, I’ve been trying to grasp more knowledge of this new place.  Additionally, the fact of being in the Eastern part of my country for the first time has been supplying some positive vibes inside me.  It feels great, that you get the first rays of the sun then the rest, and this fact energizes me.  People here rise early and are hardworking.  They are content with their lives doing some ordinary jobs like rearing fishes, chickens and goats, farming, butchery, some hold small stalls of rut importance.  There are very small to medium sweet shops. There are a number of tea stalls where tea is served in “kulhars5”.  I have also seen a few people making cults and idols of Goddess Durga at their homes.  Their halls have plenty of incomplete and a few complete projects.  Now and then I notice them drying their idols under the sun.  They really look amazing and resplendent.  The vegetable sellers still use traditional method of measuring weights i.e. the balance.  You can easily notice some shacks giving you the perfect rural visage6.



  This place has got a lot in store like “rasogullas” including the rich flora and fauna, where I love watching different types of birds, butterflies, bright coloured dragonflies, leeches and hand-sized snails with ample of forest cover.  The Eastern culture had always been a quest of curiosity for me, and now when I am finally here, it feels exhilarating7. Travelling thus, conduces8 the gain of more knowledge, wisdom and pulsates your energy.
___________________________________

1. Feeling of ecstasy; a state of extreme delight or joy.
2. Unsure or uncertain.
3. To make a deep impression.
4. Very good at doing something that’s not easy.
5. Traditional handle-less clay cup from India and Pakistan, which is typically unglazed and unpainted, meant to be disposable.
6. Aspect or appearance.
7. To cause to feel happy or excited.
8. To lead or tend to a desirable result.
                                                                                            VEDIKA


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE ENCHANTED HALO

ECLIPSED HOLI!

A QUIET WISDOM